Are you planning a holiday? If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, you want to be sure that when you return, your home will be in the same condition as when you left it. Whether you live outside the city, or in central Brisbane, security considerations should be at the top of your priority list before you head off on your holiday.
Here is a quick pre-holiday checklist that you can use to ensure your home is as safe as possible while you are away:
- Are all your doors and windows locked? Make sure you double check everything before you go, and don’t forget side gates and garden sheds.
- Is your home security system working and switched on? There is no point having a security alarm installed if it is not going to work when you need it.
- Have you notified a trusted neighbour of your absence? Having someone around to tidy your lawn, remove papers from your driveway and generally keep an eye on the place can help prevent your absence being too noticeable.
- Are the lights set to a timer so they come on at random intervals?
- Have you arranged to have mail held at the post office and cancelled any regular deliveries?
- Have you turned down the volume on your home phone so people can’t hear it ringing through from outside?
- Are ladders, tools or anything else that could be used to gain access to your home safely locked away?
- Are your outside sensor lights working?
- If you have a monitored security system, have you let your security firm know that you will be away?
- Have you moved valuables such as laptop computers and jewellery out of view from windows?
- If you are not taking your car, is it locked and parked somewhere safe like the garage?
It may seem a bit time consuming to think about your security before you go away but it is well worth the effort to keep your home safe and protected. Although you may already have a lot of packing and organising to do, if you live in a city like Brisbane, security while you are away from home is something that should always be taken seriously. With a few simple preventative measures, you can relax and enjoy your holiday, without having to worry about your home while you are away.